Friday, September 2, 2022

Highlights of the Utah quilt show (4)

Each year, the Springville Museum of Art (Utah) has one of the best quilt shows in the country.  It features award-winning quilts from Utah, a state blessed with an abundance of accomplished quilters. Here are some highlights of this year's show!

Note: please check out our E-Bay shop for great bargains on quilt patterns and collectibles ! For continuous free quilt patterns, please visit us on Twitter !

Autumn Forest by Jared Moore (Orem, Utah)

Jared notes, "This quilt is a unique, one of a kind design inspired various photographs and my own imagination. Each piece is hand cut and placed with purpose. Every quilt I create has an emotional connection for me."

Detail, Autumn Forest

Jared continues, "This reminds me of my childhood and the many adventures I have had in the wilderness with my family and on my own. Trees are an obsession in my art work. I say artwork with some hesitancy, as I have no skill or training in art, except perhaps with quilts." We think that Jared's quilt is indeed very artistic!  The placement of the yellow and orange fabric pieces enhance the look of dappled sunlight coming through the trees.

Cabin Crazy by Pam Wing (Summit, Utah)

Pam says, "This started out to be a table runner, but I had so much fun making the log cabin squares that I made it into a full quilt. There are 3,585 pieces designed, pieced, hand-dyed, and hand quilted by myself." 

Detail, Cabin Crazy

 In this close-up, you can see all of the hard work and color arrangement that Pam put into the piecing of her full size quilt.

Afternoon Delight by Patsy Wall (Payson, Utah), quilted by Kim Peterson

Award of Excellence winner, Patsy states, "There was no special occasion for making this quilt. Applique quilts are my favorite quilts. I love all different kinds of handwork, but needle-turned applique is my favorite." 

Detail, Afternoon Delight

Pam's center block is a beautiful example of curved applique piecing, which is set off by her very precise quilting of the background.

Devotion by Helen Butler (Alpine, Utah)

 Helen explains, "I rarely name my quilts, and this one is no exception. After witnessing the many hours of hand quilting this quilt, my dad commented one day, "Anyone who can stick with that no matter what, should name the quilt 'Devotion', so thus it became its name. " 

Helen adds, "Countless hours have been put into the completion of this applique and hand-quilted heirloom. Every stitch is done by hand. A small piece of my life is in this quilt! " We so much enjoyed seeing Helen's gorgeous hand work.

Image credits: Photos were taken by Quilt Inspiration at the 2022 Springville (Utah) quilt show.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love reading each and every comment... thanks for visiting our blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails