Friday, May 5, 2023

Flowers in Bloom: An Applique Extravaganza

Flowers always make people better, happier and more helpful; they are sunshine, food, and medicine to the soul. – Luther Burbank

Here are some stunning flower quilts to brighten the day. The colorful flowers stand out brilliantly against their dark backgrounds. These quilts showcase some incredible applique and quilting techniques!

p.s. Check out our E-Bay shop for great bargains on quilt patterns and collectible items. For continuous free quilt patterns, please visit us on Twitter

Sonoran Poppy Trio by Stephanie Nordlin

This original art quilt - designed by Stephanie Nordlin - features California, Matilija, and Mexican poppies rendered in 3D. Each type of poppy blooms after its own seasonal rain, and with distinctly different leaves in both shape and color. As you can see, Stephanie achieved outstanding delicacy and transparency with her art quilting techniques. She is a juried artist member of Studio Art Quilt Associates.


Blossoms on Parade by Barbara Lambrecht

Here are some lovely flowers in a lovely setting! The curved blocks give the appearance of "cathedral windows".  Barbara Lambrecht says, “I used to do a LOT of applique and started designing my own patterns in the 1990’s. This is one I taught for years in eastern Washington state and northern Idaho. It is one of two I’ve made as a “twin set”. This one is all my original design.”


 Black Beauty by Ingrid Lawrence Happel, quilted by Tracy Yadon

Beautiful applique, and a wide variety of flowers, can be seen in this art quilt by Ingrid Lawrence Happel. She says, “When I saw this pattern I knew I had to make it. As usual I did change the flowers and the border. I enjoy hand applique and took a local class to sharpen my skills.” Pattern source: Barbara Brandeburg, a variation of Winter Botanical.


Image credits: Photos were taken by Quilt Inspiration at the 2023 Tucson Quilters Guild show.


2 comments:

  1. I love your site but I'm having trouble accessing the free patterns for Kaffe Fassett. Every time I click for his free patterns it goes back to the beginning with the African inspired patterns. Can you please help me with this? thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, To access the Kaffe Fassett patterns please go directly to that free pattern page: https://quiltinspiration.blogspot.com/2018/07/free-pattern-day-kaffe-fassett-quilting.html
    Then follow the instructions to download the patterns of interest!
    Note: If you would like further help please email us directly: quiltinspiration {at} gmail {dot} com. We are unable to reply to comments that are listed as Anonymous. Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete

We love reading each and every comment... thanks for visiting our blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails