Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Stained glass quilts from denim jeans

Alicia Wells, who blogs at Lucy's Quilts,  is one of those resourceful people we admire in quilting.  She has come up with a clever approach that makes it easier to construct beautiful quilts from old denim blue jeans. She says, "I make my quilts out of old jeans because I love the variations in the fabric as it fades and the pockets are great.  I have made probably about one hundred quilts using this pattern..... I think it probably could be considered an addiction but I don't think they have rehab for this addiction!" (Update on 1-14-16: the stained glass denim quilt pattern is now available at Lucy's Quilts on Etsy.)


Alicia ("Not Lucy") explains how it all started: "I blame my problem on my sister. She got me started when we made graduation quilts for our 2001 high school grads. I was hooked right away."


For her denim quilts, Alicia modified a pattern: "It originated as a Kaffe Fassett pattern pictured on the front of his Glorious Patchwork book. All of the pieces are sewn together using 1" black strips. When doing it with denim it makes it much easier since you are never sewing two pieces of denim directly together." She has used several bolts of 60" black Kona cotton for her stained glass quilts,  in addition to green, pink, orange, and other colors.


In generous quilterly fashion, Alicia has made dozens of quilts for charity:  "I have given about 40 to foster kids in our county for their high school graduation, several have been baby quilts, 2 went with the youth from our church to Mexico to give to the two families they helped build homes for, and on and on and on."

Image credits and links: Images are shown with the kind permission of Alicia Wells. About herself and her quilts, she says: "My evening job is quilting. We are empty nesters living on a little 'farm' across the sound from Seattle. I am a mother of three and grandmother of two."  For her original posts about denim/stained glass quilts, see denim quiltsI don't think there is a patch for this and more denim/stained glass quilts.

24 comments:

  1. This post has come at a perfect time for me. I've been collecting old jeans for a denim quilt but wasn't quite sure how to go about it. Thanks for the inspiration! Will definitely check out the links.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been cutting up old jeans for denim quilts also, I have done a "10 minute quilt block" one with denim and cut up plaid shirts. I have plans to make myself a "pretty" one with denim and blues & yellow fabrics. But I would love the pattern or instructions for yours, for a change of pace. Would you possibly share the info! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an excellent way to get around the thick seams associated with denim and other thick fabrics like wool blanket. This could be another one for my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha! My kids wear their jeans until they are rags and expect me to cover the holes with creative applique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. I love the framing effect of the 1 inch strip. I make denim quilts, too; just started recently. Right now I'm embroidering colorful running stitches on my denim squares for a quilt. Maybe a strip is what I need to make sure that the detail doesn't get lost. Thanks so much for the inspiration. I'm checking the blogs of the other commenters, too. Looks like we're all denim quilters here. I hope you all blogged your denim progress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love embroidery on quilts. We're off to check everyone's denim progress!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the inspiration! I have a recent blog post about my denim quilt adventures, but I've never considered the stained glass look. AWESOME! Now I want to try it, too ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would LOVE a copy of the this pattern! I can't wait to try it out! :)

    dandthanson@wil.midco.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would appreciate a copy of this pattern. It looks like a lot of fun to make. Thanks so much.
    saragault615@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful! I would love to have a copy of the pattern. Thank you! Jhenck26@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this quilt. Could you please send me the pattern? I would love to honor my son's memory by using some of his jeans in this way. Thank you, Kim N.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love the pattern for the stained glass quilt, how can I get it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE this pattern, please send pattern. dianeLCSW@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great stained glass denim quilt. please send pattern to Robertson.a@inbox.com. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. If this quilt pattern is still available, I would like to be a copy. Thank you!

    Sandy
    wildflowersewing@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to receive a copy of this pattern. Thanks

    Marie
    mmiln@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. If this pattern is still available I would love a copy. thank you very much
    Betty Rose clanrose@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would love a copy of this stained glass denim pattern! Thank you.

    maryhenjum@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would love a copy of this pattern. Is it still available? I have stacks of denim jeans just waiting for this!
    64sherri@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would love a copy of this denim stain glass quilt.
    lmckenzie@theedge.ca

    ReplyDelete
  21. Could I get a copy of the pattern for your stain glass quilt? Thanks!

    alisonsquilts@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, I hope that it is not to late to get a copy of this pattern. It is beautiful. Thank you for sharing and you  have such wonderful talent. Thank you, Sylvia
    syliesylvia@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi to all, Due to a high volume of requests, Alicia has made this pattern available for purchase at Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/LucysQuilts

    ReplyDelete

We love reading each and every comment... thanks for visiting our blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails