Thursday, October 25, 2012

Pacific International Quilt Festival Day 9

Welcome to Day 9 of the Pacific International Quilt Festival 2012.  We really admire the artistic and personal strengths of these quilt artists, and we're delighted to see the innovation and workmanship which they bring to this large quilt show. Let's go !

Rainbow Resonance, 50 x 45, by Elmine van der Walt, South Africa


Elimine writes, "I have used two different fabrics with gradation by Caryl Bryer Fallert to create the illusion of luminescence. I want the quilt to glow with radiant light appearing to come from within the quilt. In order to get the above effect, I manipulated the value, intensity, and color against each other, with blue at the top and warmer colors at the bottom. Machine pieced and machine quilted."

Discovering Teal, app. 20 x 30,  by Lisa Kijak, Long Beach, California


"I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer at the age of 38",  says Lisa.  "The tumor was discovered during treatment for endometriosis. This piece explores the evolution of my self identity during this time. Teal [blue] is the color of the ovarian cancer ribbon. This is a self portrait that is both vulnerable and fragile. The large butterfly represents the silent symptoms of this deadly disease, while the smaller butterflies symbolize the women that have come before me and will come after me. I also hope to convey my own resilience as well as that of my OVCA sisters as we band together and fight for a cure. [ Created with ] raw edge applique, machine quilting, commercial fabrics, hand painting and discharge dye." 

The World, 56 x 73, by Rachel Wetzler, St. Charles, Illinois


Rachel says,   "The genesis of the world is portrayed in the style of a vintage, double-hemisphere map. Note the creatures creating transitions between water, sky, and land : snail, mouse, elephant, and giraffe."

Clarice, 49 x49, by Rosalind Pollock, United Kingdom 


"This quilt is based on and inspired by Clarice Cliff pottery from the Art Deco period," notes Rosalind.
 "Her plate designs have been the main  design source and have been adapted into circular machine applique blocks. Both the design period and colors are outside my comfort zone, so this quilt was a huge challenge.Machine pieced and machine quilted." 

 Shade, 39 x28, by Mary Kay Davis, Sunnyvale, California


Mary Kay explains, I began this in a class in Sisters, Oregon. It's from a photo of my dog, Shade, when he was a puppy. I wanted a small dog. He was 19 pounds at the time.  He grew up.......now he's 80 pounds. While his name may be Shade, he brings a lot of sunshine into my life. "  Mary Kay's work is machine pieced, machine appliqued, and machine quilted.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing all of these fantastic works of art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowsy, these are great! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. merci beaucoup pour tout ces reportages et ses superbes photos qui permettent de voyager à touts vos lectrices

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thrilled to see my "Clarice" quilt on your blog! :o)

    Thank you for including it - but even more thanks for the pictures of all the others that you featured.It felt as though I had a taste of the show!
    :o)

    Ros in UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello Ros, I just love your "Clarice" quilt. I would love to make one for my grand daughter who is a Clarice fan. I would be very appreciative if you would explain to me how you got the design images on your quilt. Is copyright a problem?
      My email address is: Triciagoinghome2011@gmail.com
      Many thanks and warm regards
      Tricia in Australia

      Delete

We love reading each and every comment... thanks for visiting our blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails