Thursday, September 22, 2016

Best of the Utah Quilt Show! (part 2)

Here are more of our favorites from the the 43rd Annual Springville (Utah) Quilt Show! This outstanding juried exhibition features quilts of all styles and sizes created by some of the State’s finest quilters. We are always impressed by the quality and beauty of the quilts in this show!

Jethro by Charm Crumrine. Award of Excellence.


Charm Crumrine says, "His name came to me as soon as I saw his eyes. Jethro, the American Buffalo. Our national mammal. Several months ago I drew a buffalo and didn’t know what to do with him. I thought of all the texture a buffalo has and began assembling the beads. He needed a simple background to contrast the beads so I chose muslin. This quilt was a joy to make."


Tripping by Megan Legas


Megan Legas says, "The “Scrappy Trip” craze was the impetus for this little quilt… “I wonder what it would look like if I used one inch strips.” This quilt is a little scrappier than the typical process demands, due to a mathematical error. Oops! But my error added more color variety, so I am happy!"
The Scrappy Trip around the World craze was started by Bonnie Hunter. We enjoyed seeing Megan's hand quilting on the tiny squares!


Hidden Beauty by Marian Eason. Honorable mention.


Marian Eason says, "I made this quilt for our quilt guild’s “Color Me” challenge. We were required to use colors that started with our initials. My initials are MEE and my colors are Mandarin Red, Electric Yellow-Green and Evergreen. When hiking in the La Sal Mountains, my husband photographed a small patch of Western Red Columbines."


Marian continues, "These diminutive flowers measure about an inch and a half long; but I chose to magnify one with the sun shining through it to show off its beauty. I chose straight-line quilting to finish my quilt."

A Flock of Feathered Stars by Sherry Newbold, quilted by Debra Simons

 
Sherry Newbold says, "Each block was paper pieced. Fabric choices were made from varied patterns and shades of beiges and blacks."


Village by Karin Crawford, quilted by Kim Peterson.  Award of Excellence.


Karin Crawford says, "I started the applique while serving on the USNS Comfort for 6 months. I was able to do the stitching as we sailed from country to country...  Village is made entirely of Kaffe [Fassett] fabric which I love and have been collecting for ages. Note that the houses, trees and shrubbery are located inside a garden path of hexagon flowers. This is surrounded by the fence which keeps out all the wild animals."


Karin says that it took her over a year to do all the handwork. Kim Peterson quilted Village for Karin and did a beautiful job!  The Village quilt pattern is by Kim McLean.


Jewel Tone Jewel Box by Barbara Colton, quilted by Dixie Sargent.


Barbara Colton says, "My quilt group, Gone to Pieces Quilters, had a trade of jewel-tone fabrics to make jewel box or another pattern of quilts. Since I had made a scrap jewel box quilt, I wanted something a little different, so I looked online for other settings. I got my inspiration there, although I made my quilt taller and less wide than the square quilt I saw on the internet. My choice of contrasting purple was my own."


Note: Jinny Beyer has a free pattern for a Jewel Box quilt.

Image credits:  Photos were taken by Quilt Inspiration.

5 comments:

  1. Lovely. I so enjoyed this post. Thank you for taking the time to share with us. The Village is awesome and Jethro must be a heavy bull with all its beads. Excellent work there. Amazing! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the morning eye candy. They are all lovely, but I think Jethro is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! My favorite is Village, but all are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quilting on a diagonal on those scrappy little squares makes my fingers hurt just to look.
    I have been thinking of making some kind of a village quilt and that one is really lovely. someday ... sometime ... the bar has been set rather high.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful quilts! We are in awe of the Columbine!

    ReplyDelete

We love reading each and every comment... thanks for visiting our blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails