Tuesday, June 20, 2017

More Scrap (Happy) Quilts!

We've been collecting scrap quilt inspiration for years.  Our favorite scrap quilts are those with a cohesive design and color scheme; in other words, quilts that don't look TOO scrappy.  Have you ever made a scrap quilt?  Let us know which of these are your favorites!
NOTE: Please check out all the quilt books and fabric at our eBay store !

Ditzy for Dots by Judith Salb, quilted by Jessica Gamez


Ditzy for Dots won Third Place in the Scrap Quilt category at the 2017 Quilt Arizona! There are so many fun dotty fabrics in this quilt.  Judith Salb says, "Dots and spots and circles oh my! I included a few other shapes to create a hunting game for my granddaughters."   It was beautifully quilted by Jessica Gamez.


I Love HSTs by Valerie Helgren-Lempesis, quilted by Kerry Reed


Valerie says, "Using Edyta Sitar’s Medallion Center quilt [the cover quilt for Edyta's Friendship Triangles book], I decided to triple it in size and then use more HSTs for the borders. I then used a quilt done by Francis Scott Key’s wife as inspiration for the final product.


Not Even Close by Carolyn Edwards, quilted by Arlene Tribble


An Ocean Waves design makes a wonderful scrap quilt! Carolyn Edwards says, "My quilt is “Not Even Close” to the magnificent pieced vine borders made by Indiana farm wife, Susan McCord, in 1800 [collection of the Henry Ford Museum] but I tried." For more on Carolyn Edwards, see the Arizona Quilters Hall of Fame


Third Generation by Pamela Snow


Pamela Snow created this charming wall hanging from recycled vintage quilt pieces.  She says, "I used my longarm to attach vintage quilt pieces to a white background. Pieces were hand sewn by my aunt in the 40’s from my grandma’s scrap basket."  It was longarm quilted by Pamela herself using red thread.


Up The Down Staircase by Brenda Archambault, quilted by Carolyn Helvie


Quiltmaker Brenda Archambault says, "Mary Etherington, owner of Country Threads, posted a picture on her blog of a similar quilt last winter. I studied the picture and figured out the blocks."


No Title by Susan Sacco, quilted by Ruby Worrell


Susan Sacco says that she made these quilt blocks from Batik scraps: "I loved doing the petals by hand." The quilt was inspired by a class with Bobye Jones.


Scraps to the Max by Mary McElvain, quilted by Andrea Stanfield


Scraps to the Max was inspired by the Charming Addition pattern by Kathie Holland at APQ. Mary McElvain says, "When this quilt appeared on the cover of American Patchwork and Quilting (Dec 2012) I knew I had to go to my boxes of scraps and make it."  Mary McElvain and her daughter, Andi Stanfield (True Blue Quilts) are coauthors of the book Monochromatic Quilts: Amazing Variety.

Firewall by Carol Caplan, quilted by Cathy McLees


The ultra-modern-looking Firewall was made with "an array of scraps and strips from a lifetime of quilting, some more than 30 years old. Waste not, want not!" Carol says the pattern is from Devoted to Scraps by Karen Griska at Quiltmaker.  


Image credits: Photos were taken by Quilt Inspiration at the 2017 Quilt Arizona show (Ditzy for Dots, Not Even Close, No Title); 2014 Arizona Quilter's Guild show (Scraps to the Max); 2015 Arizona Quilter's Guild show (Firewall); and 2015 Diablo Valley Quilter's Guild (I Love HSTs,

7 comments:

  1. WOW!!! These are all amazing. I especially love the first one, it takes my breath away . . . what a marvelous piece of art. I love paper piecing and I have started one like the Scraps to the Max . . . I have no idea when I will ever finish it, but it makes a great winter lap project. Thanks for sharing these beautiful quilts; their quilters are certainly praise worthy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic selection of scrappy inspiration! Ditzy for Dots is fabulous! And I love the simplicity of Third Generation and it's bold red stitching. An inspirational use of leftover blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favourite is "3rd Generation" by Pamela Snow. Less is more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness - how hard to pick a favorite! They are all so beautiful! No Title looks like a beautiful flower garden so we choose that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great scrap quilts! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the first time I've seen your site. It's great. I'm adding it to Favorites. Thanks for the great and fun ideas

    Silk Chiffon Fabric NYC

    ReplyDelete
  7. As you know, I always use scraps and am looking for new ideas to use. I have made several quilted pieces using that + block.
    (in fact, as I reply, there is a table runner in that design on the table in front of me. my only problem with that one is that it has to be arranged before beginning to sew to get a good balance of color, then organized so that the pieces don't get mixed.

    ReplyDelete

We love reading each and every comment... thanks for visiting our blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails