Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Happy Valentine's Day! (2)

Happy Valentine's Day 2019! We love this holiday, dedicated to friendship, love, and romance. Join us as we take a look at some of these red and white quilts which celebrate such a fun time of the year!

p.s. Check out our E-Bay shop for great deals on quilt patterns, fabric, and books ! For continuous free quilt patterns, please visit us on Twitter !

Zen in Red by Marjory Peck, Arizona, quilted by Marjory Peck


Honorable Mention winner Marjorie notes, "I love the Zentangle drawings, but I am not a doodler. This is my version of doodling with fabric. The idea of only using two colors to make an applique quilt inspired me to do this design for the Arizona Quilters Guild theme challenge." (40th anniversary Ruby Extravaganza).

Close-up, Zen in Red


We really like how nicely  these red and white fabrics go together ! They are all the same shade of red, but there's so much variety in the type of prints displayed here. What a fun, lively project.

Red Licorice by Shirley Johnson, Arizona, quilted by Shirley Johnson


Shirley states, "[This is a] published design by Jill Finley. As my first-ever log cabin quilt, Jill Finley's 'Red Licorice' design is spot on for me; it's modernly old fashioned."


Shirley quilted this lovely work herself. She did a wonderful, precise job with both the applique and patchwork motifs.

Be My Valentine by Jan Redding, Arizona, quilted by Diane Pugh


Jan explains, "[The redwork embroidery] was a design from Bird Brain Designs. I  embroidered the redwork hearts by hand from the "Hearts and Flowers" pattern. I chose a simple nine patch setting to highlight the redwork." 

Close-up, Be My Valentine


Jan adds, "This quilt combines my two favorite things..quilting and embroidery." This intricate  redwork is beautifully done and stands out so well against the white background.

Red and White Explosion by Margaret Willingham, Colorado, quilted by Margaret Willingham


Margaret says of her original design,  "Simplicity. Elegance. Redemption. A dance of positive and negative space in red and white. I love the exciting simplicity of two color quilts. I love red, I love to applique and reverse applique by hand, and I love to hand quilt. "

Close-up, Red and White Explosion


Margaret continues, "This original quilt design with 17 unique bursting blocks inspired by architecture of the Victorian Era, brings together all these loves, just for the fun of it." Here's a close-up, above, of Margaret's very painstaking work, done with elegant, tiny stitches.

Red Regale by Kristen Webb, Utah, quilted by Kirsten Webb


Kirsten remarks, "I love red and white quilts, and Red Regale is the latest one. The block design was adapted from a block seen on Pinterest. This was a new challenge for me to create my own quilt and then set it on point. I left large neutral spaces for longarm quilting, which I did myself."

Close-up, Red Regale


Kirsten concludes, "I can honestly say this is my quilt from start to finish. I love quilting; it fills me with content and happiness."
Both the patchwork and longarm quilting here are gorgeous. Kirsten has selected fabric that is a highly saturated, very substantial shade of red in order to give maximum contrast to the background.  

Image credits:  Photos were taken by Quilt Inspiration at the 2018 Road to California show (Red and White Explosion), the 2018 Springville (Utah) quilt show (Red Regale), and  Quilt Arizona! (Zen in Red, Be My Valentine, and Red Licorice.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love reading each and every comment... thanks for visiting our blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails