Thursday, September 19, 2019

Quilts from the Springville Museum of Art (part 4)

Each year, the Springville Museum of Art (Utah) has one of the best quilt shows around.  It features award-winning quilts from Utah, a state blessed with an abundance of accomplished quilters. Here are some highlights of this year's show!

Note: please check out our E-Bay shop for great bargains on quilt patterns and collectible items! For continuous free quilt patterns, please visit us on Twitter !

Mary - Queen of Bedford by Karin Crawford, quilted by Kim Peterson


Best of Show winner Karin explains, " I deconstructed a panel called the Tree of Life by Mary Koval. Then, I reconstructed the wreath of birds and flowers using Broderie Perse. This quilt has so many elements in it which I enjoy doing: English paper piecing, hand applique, reverse hand applique, serpentine borders, hand mitered corner, scallops, etc. "


Karin concludes, "It was a joy to make!"  We'd like to add that it was a joy to view this breathtaking quilting, with the broderie perse technique shown above. Karin has carefully fussy cut out the motifs of the large prints of flowers, birds, and butterflies from the original panel. She then appliqued each motif onto the new background, which gives an elegant and vintage look to her work.

Aladdin's Window by Donna Moyer


Donna notes, "Aladdin's Window is completely done by hand except for the pieced backing and the hanging device. I tried many shapes before deciding it really needed to be a circle, slightly reminiscent of some of the magnificent stained glass rose windows I have seen in Europe. This 'window' takes on a Mid-Eastern flavor with a nod to the paisley design which originated long ago in Persia."


For her lovely, unique work, Donna won the award for Best Solitaire Hand Quilting. She says, "I couldn't resist adding a personal touch by quilting eight lotus blossoms in gold. Lotus Blossom was my husband's pet name for me."

Purple Posies by Penny Adams


Penny states, "Each of the flowers was made by hand over the period of six months and then appliqued. The insects were drawn and then embroidered. Beads were added to the insects to help catch the light and add an element of life. "


Penny adds, "I used echo quilting to add movement to the quilt. I am pleased with the quilt because it reflects my love of nature."


Here are some more of Penny's hand-made flowers. We really admire Penny's creativity and inventiveness in creating these realistic flowers, including the very lifelike petals.

Scrappy Happy by Nancy Hillman Roberts, quilted by Monica Steelman


Award of Excellence winner, Nancy writes, "Above my desk as a high school teacher was a wacky plaque that asked, 'Have You Dazzled Your Teacher Today?' This is my purpose in submitting a quilt in this show. ...I hope that [people] say, 'I like this quilt. It draws me in, and I'm a little dazzled.'
We'd like to say that we are just not a little bit dazzled; we are extremely dazzled! We are very impressed with all the different fabrics, hours of work, patience, and concentration that Nancy put into her incredible work.  It really exemplifies her devotion to the quilting arts, and she has a fantastic creation to show for it.


Nancy continues, "This quilt kept me engaged, excited, and satistfied with the end product. It's not perfect, but I'm happy-scrappy happy because with my color addiction, variety is essential.
I worked on it when I was sitting (in the car, watching TV, visiting, waiting, etc.) It took twenty-one months to complete. My inspiration was a Kim Diehl wall hanging with 6 3-inch blocks, 24 orange peels, and 12 yo-yo's. Mine exploded into 960 3-inch blocks, 3,840 orange peels, and 1,983 yo-yo's."

Saddle Up by Celia Belcher, quilted by Stephanie McGee


Celia remarks, "Twenty years ago while traveling out of state, I found this pattern and desired to make it for my daughter and her new husband. She and I picked the material, and I was to begin. Not having much experience in advanced quilting, I kept putting it aside. Finally, in 2017, I determined I had to start and just do the best I could."


Celia concludes, "Working on it when I could, I finished it in August 2018. Finding pattern-detailing ideas online, I designed the saddle flowers. I also added the ribbon detail and the initials of their names." We congratulate Celia on her determination to finish what is a very colorful and precisely sewn quilt. The saddle flowers and the initials of Celia's daughter and son-in-law add a special, personalized touch to her work.

Image credits:  Photos were taken by Quilt Inspiration.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You weren't kidding when you said that Utah has some fabulous quilters! This series has been amazing!

    ReplyDelete

We love reading each and every comment... thanks for visiting our blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails