Friday, May 29, 2020

Hexagon Quilt Inspiration (part 2)

Today's post is inspired by some outstanding hexagon quilts we've seen at quilt shows.  The hexagon shape can be used to create contemporary as well as traditional quilts, as shown in today's post. (For more hexagon quilt inspiration, see part 1 of this series.)

Please check out our E-Bay shop for great bargains on quilt patterns, books, and collectible items !
For the latest free quilt patterns, please visit us on Twitter.

De Jurk (The Dress) by Annemiek van den Boogaard,  The Netherlands


An Award of Merit winner at the Houston International Quilt Festival, Annemiek says, "For my inspiration, I used a drawing by the artist Victor Vasarely. Then, I started to draw myself and I put my own ideas into it."


Annemiek continues, "This quilt is made with different techniques, fabrics, and colours. I followed my intuition, and I'm proud of the result." We love this hand-pieced, machine quilted, creation in soft neutrals, with a touch of terracotta shades and the happy flower face which brings so much personality to Annemiek's work.

Five Little Peppers and How They Grew by Linda Puttmann, Arizona


Second place winner in the Scrap Quilts category, Linda comments, "Blocks made using colored pencils, applique, and embroidery in the 'Grandmother's Flower Garden' setting. This pattern was from a class by the late Arlene Southworth."


These adorable images of children are interspersed among the hexagons. Linda's use of 1930's style small prints in pastel colors is a perfect choice for this charming quilt.

For The Love of Hexies by Sharon Wilkinson, Australia. Quilted by Leanne Kaufmann


Sharon notes, "It was while preparing to open our quilt shop that we decided we needed to have a statement quilt; a quilt that displayed what we were about. Bright, modern, and just a little bit different."


This is a wonderful display of hexagonal block patterns, showing the versatility of  the hexagon
shape when combined with triangles. Sharon's design source is Katja Marek's The New Hexagon: 52 Blocks to Paper Piece.

Granddaughter's Flower Garden, 46 x 56", by Louise Moor, Florida


Louise explains, "I'm a very traditional quilter and found it hard to 'go Modern'. Then I saw this [Easy Breezy Hexies] design by Sonja Callaghan and felt it was modern but still let me feel comfortable in my traditional roots." Louise's use of solids and striped fabrics, along with a pale gray and white background lend a three-dimensional perspective.


Triangular, parallel line, and small circle quilt patterns give this vintage pattern such a refreshing, updated look. The saying "Everything old is new again" is really exemplified by Louise's contemporary craftsmanship. Louise adds, "While I would normally hand quilt this, I decided to quilt this by machine."

My Grandma's Garden by Michele Louise Knight, Utah


Michele explains, My inspiration came from a quilt I saw online a few years ago, which did not have the traditional pathways in the flower garden. I had never done English paper piecing, but thought this handwork would travel easily." We love the warm pastel shades of the flowers, which create a radiant, sunlit effect against the aqua background.


Michele adds, "I also had never tried hand-piecing, applique, or much embroidery, so many thanks to the talented ladies of our 'Gone to Pieces' quilt group for tutoring me. I worked on the quilt for 2.5 years while in the car traveling."


Michele continues, "I named the quilt for my maternal grandmother, who worked all her life and never had a garden."  For Michele's first attempt at these techniques, we think the results are spectacular.

Image credits: Photos were taken by Quilt Inspiration at the 2017 Houston International Quilt Festival (For The Love of Hexies), the 2014 Arizona Quilters Guild Show (Five Little Peppers), the 2015 World Quilt Show (Granddaughter's Flower Garden),the 2013 Houston International Quilt Festival (De Jurk), and the 2015 Springville (Utah) quilt show (My Grandma's Garden).

2 comments:

We love reading each and every comment... thanks for visiting our blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails