Thursday, September 12, 2024

The 50th Annual Utah Quilt Show! (3)

Welcome to the 50th Annual Utah Quilt Show! This show features some of Utah's finest quilters. Each quilt displays a convergence of artistry and creative decision-making, along with the meticulous technical work required at every step of the quilting process.  We hope you enjoy our photos!

p.s. Check out our E-Bay shop for quilt materials & patterns, jewelry, and collectibles! We also invite you to follow us on Twitter

Purple Elephant (2021), made and quilted by Emily Weinheimer.

A 60%-scaled version of Violet Craft's original foundation paper pieced Elephant Abstractions quilt pattern.


Sonoran Preserve Saguaro & Cactus Wren (2024) by Carol Librizzi, quilted by Leisha Farnsworth


Carol Librizzi says, "I made this quilt based on a photo I took of a saguaro cactus in the Sonoran Preserve in Arizona.  I was inspired by the collage cactus in Emily Taylor's book, Collage Quilter.  I added colors other than just greens in the cactus to add interest and a bit of whimsy.  The ombre background was suggested by my daughter after I could not find the "right" blue.  It captures the Arizona desert sky."


Carol says, "I love all the textures and movement Leisha Farnsworth did in the quilting. Every year, I try to learn something new, and I thoroughly enjoyed learning this."

Colorful (2022), made and quilted by Marilyn Snow.


Marilyn Snow says, "When I first saw the pattern, I knew I needed to make it. The hardest part was keeping everything organized so that the pencil points lined up with the correct pencil. It was a fun pattern and I really love how it turned out.  I love to play with fabric and any of my great quilting machines. I have sewn for many years and quilted for about 20 years.  I'm inspired by the many patterns and fabric lines that creative people come up with."


Burgoyne Surrounded (2024), made and quilted by Shirley Olsen.

We love this quilt pattern, which is hardly ever seen these days, so this was a special treat. Winner of a Blue Ribbon (Award of Excellence), Shirley Olsen says: "This quilt is a combination of the traditional "Burgoyne surrounded" block and an adaptation of a border designed by Trudie Hughes. Although begun in 2003, this quilt was put aside while I worked on other projects. I finally worked on it again in 2022 and 2024. I hand-guided the quilting on my Bernina 820 stationary machine." Beautiful!

Shirley explains that her quilt was inspired by a red and cream version shown many years ago at a Utah Valley Quilt Guild meeting. "Blue is my favorite color, so I chose blue and cream for my quilt. I am so happy to have finally finished."

Kaleidoscope Stars (2023) by Kathy M. Asay, quilted by Common Threads.  

Here is another gorgeous re-creation of a traditional design! This quilt is based on a Civil War quilt.  Each star has a twin star with the facets reversed.  This design really sparkles.

Image credits: Photos were taken by Quilt Inspiration at the Springville (Utah) Museum of Art.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love reading each and every comment... thanks for visiting our blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails