Thursday, September 19, 2024

The 50th Annual Utah Quilt Show! (5)

Welcome back to the 50th Annual Utah Quilt Show! This show features some of Utah's finest quilters. Each quilt displays a convergence of artistry and creative decision-making, with the meticulous technical work required at every step of the quilting process. We hope you enjoy our photos!

p.s. Check out our E-Bay shop for quilt materials & patterns, jewelry, and collectibles! We also invite you to follow us on Twitter

La Passacaglia (2024) by Chelsie Robertson @ChelsieSews, quilted by Melissa Kelley

Nearly every block of this gorgeous quilt has a special fussy-cut motif, creating an "I spy" quilt.  Chelsie says, "I hope you see more things the longer you look at my quilt!"  (We spy retro surfer girls in one of the blocks, below!)


Finding My Artist Within (2024), made and quilted by Rebecca Tesch.

Winner of Best of Show at this fantastic show, Rebecca Tesch says, "As a member of the Utah quilt Guild, I started a challenge quilt for the "Find the Artist Within" Challenge but didn't get it finished in time.  In fact, it's taken years beyond the entry date for that challenge. I love Judy Niemeyer's work and was inspired to use components of multiple quilts, combined and reduced to create a unique but definitely "Niemeyer-like" quilt. I created the pattern using the foundation paper piecing technique and combined my scraps of batik to complete the quilt. It's a work of love and inspiration."

Beautiful feather quilting can be seen, especially in the margins.

Adventures in the Netherlands (2023) by Emily Magleby, quilted by Emmy Evans.  

Emily Magleby says, "I wanted a quilt that was a 'love letter' to the Netherlands.  I had the opportunity to live in the Netherlands and those memories hold a speical place in my heart.  I used the patterns from the Moda Blockheads 3" challenge and swapped several blocks with paper-pieced blocks that had more specific dutch themes. I carefully curated fabrics that had patterns, themes, and colors that spoke to me and my experience living in such a magical place."  

The custom quilting was done by Emmy Evans. Emily says, "I am thrilled that she was able to add her artwork to the quilt."  (Can you see the children peeking out inside the windmill?)

Geraniums - English Paper Pieced (2023), made and quilted by Petrea Lassen.

We love this flowery quilt! Petrea Lassen says, "Geraniums was pieced and quilted entirely by hand. I started by collecting various pink and purple fabrics for this quilt. About a year later I finally had enough variation to begin.  I love the portability of English paper piecing. This quilt project traveled to Hawaii with me twice. It also made its way to New York City... we visited Ellis Island where we found record of my material grandmother's arrival to the United States from Denmark."

Square Round (2024), made and quilted by Luanne Hyer Olson

We love this modern rainbow strip quilt with its illusion of curves (we are searching for the pattern!)  Winner of a Blue Ribbon (Award of Excellence) at the show, the precision piecing is complemented by dense geometric quilting.


Image credits: Photos were taken by Quilt Inspiration at the Springville (Utah) Museum of Art.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love reading each and every comment... thanks for visiting our blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails