Friday, August 26, 2022

Highlights of the Utah quilt show (2)

 Each year, the Springville Museum of Art (Utah) has one of the best quilt shows in the country.  It features award-winning quilts from Utah, a state blessed with an abundance of accomplished quilters. Here are some highlights of this year's show!

Note: please check out our E-Bay shop for great bargains on quilt patterns and collectibles ! For continuous free quilt patterns, please visit us on Twitter !

Lone Star by Chris Dodge (Salem, Utah)

Winner of a blue ribbon (Award of Excellence), Chris Dodge chose colors of the southwest for her beautiful Lone Star quilt.  Smaller, matching lone stars edge the outer border.  Her outstanding quilting can be seen in the open spaces.  The closeup photos highlight Chris' precise machine quilting designs.


My Kinda Town by Lynette Cummings (Springville, Utah)

My Kinda Town is a delightful paper pieced quilt featuring houses, stores, a church, and  various trees! (The My Kinda Town quilt pattern is by Laura Heine.) Lynette Cummings says, "This is the 5th quilt I have created, however this is the first time I have chosen my own fabric.  It has been so fun to see how it all comes together and I love it! My mom owns a long arm quilting machine and I used that machine to quilt free hand."


 DeVine Stars by Megan Cresap Legas (Provo, Utah)

This heirloom quilt won a blue ribbon for Best Solitare Hand Quilting. It combines pieced stars and appliqued vines. The expert hand quilting alone must have taken many months.  Megan Legas says, "My basket of 1 inch strips inspires a multitude of possibilities.  This quilt combines a few of them.  I play with the narrow strips to see what will happen, and am often surprised by the result." Megan's intricate hand quilting can be seen in the open spaces, below.


 Ukrainian Lone Star by Tami Johnson (Springville, Utah), quilted by Emmy Evans

Tami Johnson says that this was going to be a simple yellow Lone Star on a white background, but that changed with the Russian invasion of Ukraine.  "The white became blue thus representing the colors of the Ukrainian flag. ...Typically I leave the setting squares and triangles around the Star empty as a canvas for the qulter to fill.  But I wanted to fill this quilt with hope, so I spent hours creating the sunflower appliques."  Ukrainian-style embroidery is represented in the borders, as shown above.


 San Francisco by Becca Barlow (Pleasant Grove, Utah), quilted by Abby Latimer

Becca Barlow created this fantastic modern design after a trip to San Francisco. She says, "I noticed an antique grate and loved the intricate design.  I took a picture and set about incorporating the design into a quilt." The overall quilting, done in spirals and swirls by Abby Latimer, softens the lines without detracting from the striking geometric design.


Image credits: Photos were taken by Quilt Inspiration at the 2022 Springville (Utah) quilt show.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love reading each and every comment... thanks for visiting our blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails