Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Highlights of the Utah quilt show (3)

Each year, the Springville Museum of Art (Utah) has one of the best quilt shows in the country.  It features award-winning quilts from Utah, a state blessed with an abundance of accomplished quilters. Here are some highlights of this year's show!

Note: please check out our E-Bay shop for great bargains on quilt patterns and collectibles ! For continuous free quilt patterns, please visit us on Twitter ! 

Vintage Southwest by Marian Murdock (Mapleton, Utah)

We love the Southwest colors and images in this striking wall quilt with its cloud-shaped appliqued scenes. 

Marian Murdock designed the quilt around a rare vintage Alexander Henry fabric. Marian says, "After I received [the fabric], the big question was how do I use it and show the print?  After several failed attempts I finally came up with this design that didn't take away from the fabric I had fallen in love with." 


 Perspective
by Megan Cresap Legas (Provo, Utah)

Hundreds of 1-inch fabric strips were used to create this tumbling blocks quilt! Each block was made with 24 different strips. Megan Cresap Legas says, "I have a very deep basket of 1" strips that I like to experiment with.  This is the result of one of those experiments.  I thought the strips would add extra depth to a large Tumbling Blocks design.  The setting was designed to enhance the illusion of real stacked blocks."


 The Boys on the Block
by Marian Eason (Moab, Utah)

Winner of a blue ribbon (Award of Excellence), this very artistic quilt features three charming guinea fowl.  Marian Eason says, "This year our guild's annual challenge theme was 'Lotsa Dots'. At least 50% of the top had to be dotted fabric. Guinea Fowl are naturally dotted so they seemed a good choice for my quilt. They come in a range of colors so I made one blue. I was surprised to find so many dotted fabrics already in my stash, so I only bought a few additional pieces."


 Happy Dolphin Family
by Jean Thornock (Provo, Utah), quilted by Amity Golding

Dolphins frolic among the "waves" of this lovely baby quilt. Batik fabrics from light to dark give the impression of the deep blue sea. Jean Thornock says this is one of a series of baby quilts which she has made over the years. "Since I didn't start quilting until my grandchildren were all grown these are for my future great grandchildren."


 Straits of Mackinac
by Lani Brower (Orem, Utah), quilted by Peggy Cameron


We can never resist a storm-at-sea type quilt, and this one is a real beauty. Lani Brower says, "I pieced this quilt in a Bonnie Hunter class on Mackinac Island, Michigan at the Grand Hotel (think Somewhere in Time...) It was magical! Loads of string piecing and Tri-Recs [ruler] work, but definitely worth it!" Close inspection reveals tons of fun fabric prints which add interest.


Urban Cabin Vibes by Deanne Kuhni (Park City, Utah), quilted by Emily Herrick

Deanne Kuhni won a blue ribbon (Award of Excellence) for this very contemporary log cabin quilt! She explains, "I quilted when I was a young mother until I became too busy... now I am a grandmother and I have recaptured the luxury of free time. All my life I have loved subdued colors, so when I approached this quilt, I relished the bold design and colorful fabrics. A complete departure from "me!"

Deanne's colorful log cabin blocks are made with skinny strips, which are wider on the outside of the block and skinnier in the middle, creating an optical illusion of depth. A similar design can be seen in Tara Faughnan's Modern Log Cabin pattern. Deanne set off her large log cabin blocks with smaller pieced squares so that each block really stands out.


 Image credits:
Photos were taken by Quilt Inspiration at the 2022 Springville (Utah) quilt show.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely. Wish I’d had time to go this year myself. Although I wonder, is the last one a log cabin block or the court house steps block?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just fabulous art!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wondering if putting together tumbling blocks (1" strips) was machined when putting together. Is there a pattern?

    ReplyDelete

We love reading each and every comment... thanks for visiting our blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails